AFD Responds To South Polk Fire

The Amarillo Fire Department responded to a house fire Sunday morning in the 3600 Block of South Polk.

Once crews arrived they found a single story duplex with smoking coming from the eaves of the back porch.

The blaze was put out within 10 minutes with no injuries being reported.

The Amarillo Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was started by improper discard of a cigarette on the back porch.

The estimated dollar loss to the house was $10,000.

The Department says:

~Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes into bushes, mulch or grassy areas that can easily catch fire.

~Throwing cigarettes on the ground is considered littering.

~Fully extinguish cigarettes in an ashtray or a non-combustible container.

~Soak cigarette butts in water before throwing them away.

~If smoking inside, do not place ashtrays on combustible surfaces.