High Plains Food Bank Recognizing September As “Hunger Action Month”
The High Plains Food Bank is teaming up with Feeding American and other organizations for Hunger Action Month.
During the months of September, Food banks around the country are working to make a real and lasting impact on food insecurity in their communities, and they are asking for the public’s support.
“The arrival of COVID-19 has changed the scope of food insecurity in the Texas Panhandle,” said Zack Wilson, Executive Director of the High Plains Food Bank. “The average number of households facing food insecurity jumped 16 percent from one year ago. Thanks to your generous support, we have been able to respond by distributing over 9 million pounds of food since COVID hit – with some months exceeding one million pounds of food distributed. Your support literally allows us to continue to help many in need.”
During the month of September, people across the Texas Panhandle can get involved in the movement
by learning, committing, and speaking up about ways to end hunger. Some ideas include:
- Wear your Hunger Action Month T-Shirt or anything orange to show support. Post your pics on social media, tag @HighPlainsFoodBank, and use #WeFeedTXPH, #HungerActionMonth, and #HungerActionDay on September 17th.
- Potter County and Amarillo Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (AOMS) will go orange for Hunger Action Month. Amarillo National Bank will go orange on September 17th for Hunger Action Day. Any other businesses with the ability are invited to runt their lights orange for the month of September.
- Visit any local Whataburger through September 20 to donate $1 to High Plains Food Bank and receive a FREE Whataburger (with the purchase of a medium french fry and 32-ounce drink).
- Sign up to volunteer in our warehouse at https://hpfb.org/product-recovery-volunteers or in the Garden at https://hpfb.org/garden-volunteers
- Make a hunger-fighting gift at www.hpfb.org/donate. HPFB can provide the equivalent of 6 meals with every $1 donated.
You can see a list of things that will be taking place during the month by going to hunger action month dot org.