Les Simpson wants to serve his community.
That is why the former publisher of the Amarillo Globe News announced his candidacy for the city council.
He said “I’m running because I love Amarillo and care about the people who live here,”
Simpson will run for Place 4, currently held by Howard Smith who is not seeking a 4th term.
Simpson said his campaign will focus on six points:
- Make it easier for business owners to thrive and grow
- Improve customer service (trash pick up, roads, and infrastructure)
- Improve accountability, transparency, and communication
- Prioritize public safety and keeping neighborhoods safe
- Keep taxes low and cut wasteful spending
- Consider Amarillo citizens first
Simpson is an elder at First Presbyterian Church and has served in leadership roles at numerous nonprofit organizations, including the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce, Young Life, United Way of Amarillo, and the WTAMU Foundation.
The filing period ends at 5 p.m. on February 17th and the election is May 6th.